|Craps terms, meaning of words: Terminology, Jargon, Slang, Vocabulary.
- Aces - Betting that the next roll will be the total sum of 2.
- Any Craps - A bet that the next roll will be 2, 3, or 12.
- Any Seven - A bet that the next roll will be 7.
- Arm - A term used in the game of craps to denote a player who is so skilled at throwing the dice that they are able to alter the conventional odds of the game. Such a player is said to be 'an arm'. Whether or not such individuals actually exist or are simply the product of game legend is debatable. However, it is worth noting that the casino craps dealers are very adamant about the dice being thrown against the far wall of the table to ensure a completely random outcome.
- Back Line - Another term for the Don't Pass Line.
- Bank Craps - The casino game now known as Craps is actually "Bank Craps". "Craps" is a dice game popular in American private gambling and is played against other players. In Bank Craps players may bet only against the house.
- Betting Right - Betting the throw will win on Pass Line and Come bets.
- Betting Wrong - Betting the throw will not pass on Don't Pass Line and Don't Come bets.
- Big Eight - A bet that an 8 will be rolled before a 7 comes up.
- Big Six - A bet that a 6 will be rolled before a 7 comes up.
- Big Red - Placing a bet on Any Seven.
- Boxcars - (Betting on the 12) Two 6s rolled in a craps game are called 'Boxcars'. (Boxcars are the last cars on a train.)
- Boxman - Casino employee who sits between the two dealers at the Craps table and is responsible for the chips the casino keeps at the table.
- Buffalo - Placing a bet on each of the Hardway and Any Seven.
- Buy Bet (Buy and Lay bet) - Giving the house a 5% commission in order to be paid correct odds for a place bet. Buy and lay bets are made the same way as a place bet, but at corrected odds.
- C and E Bet - A one roll bet that the next roll of the dice will be any craps (2,3, or 12) or 11.
- Capped Dice - non standard, crooked dice.
- Cold Table - for the moment shooters aren't winning at this table. A table in which very few shooters are making The Point.
- Come Bet - Same as the Pass Line bet but made after the Come Out roll.
- Come Out Roll - The first roll of the dice in a betting round and determines the point for Pass and Don't Pass Line bets.
- Don't Come - Making a bet against the dice (a 7 will appear before the point is rolled again) after the come out roll.
- Don't Pass Bet - Making a bet against the dice before a Come Out roll.
- Don't Pass Bar - Just above the pass line is a thinner band of felt where you place your don't pass bets (essentially the opposite of a pass line bet).
- Double Odds - Doubles the initial Pass Line, Don't Pass Line, Come, Don't Come bets.
- Easy Way - A dice roll of 4, 6, 8, 10 each die being different from the other.
- Edge - The advantage the casino has on player on any given wager.
- Fade - To meet the bet of an opposing player in the game of dice. This is common in 'Craps' as played privately against other players and not against the casino (casino craps - see "Bank Craps" above). Before his first throw the shooter/thrower puts up a stake, and the other players fade it, i.e., bet against the shooter up to the amount of the stake. The shooter must withdraw any part of his stake that is not faded. If the shooter/thrower loses, the other players take away double the amount they faded.
- Field Bet - A bet on 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11 or 12.
- Free Odds Bet - Taken at true odds.
- Front Line - Another term for the Pass Line.
- Hardway - Betting on a 4, 6, 8 or 10 thrown as pairs (2-2, 3-3...) before rolled easy or before a 7 comes out. (See also 'The Hard Way Bet' below)
- Hi-Lo - A bet that the next roll of the dice will be a 2 or 12.
- Hope Bet - One roll bet on a particular dice combination.
- Hoping Hardway - A 2-2 hope bet.
- Horn Bet - A bet on 2, 3, 11 and 12 with the same amount.
- Horn High Bet - bet amount is split into five parts. Two parts on the high number 12 and three units for the other numbers 2, 3 and 11.
- Hot Table - A table in which most shooters are making The Point.
- Insurance Bet - Two or more wagers made to partially cover one another.
- Juice - Another term for vig (vigorish). The casino edge or commission taken by the house.
- Lay Bet - Betting that a point number will not be rolled before a 7 is thrown.
- Lay Odds - Additional odds bet against the dice.
- Line Bet - Bet on the Pass Line or Don't Pass Line.
- Little Joe - A Hard 4 (2-2).
- Marker Puck - A Plastic disk that the dealers use to mark the point on the Craps table; 'Off' or 'On'.
- Midnight - One roll bet on 12.
- Natural - Another term for a throw of 7 or 11 on the come out roll. (Natural seven or natural eleven.)
- Off - Meaning certain bets will be safe on the next dice roll.
- One Roll Bets - Outcome of these bets are established by the next dice roll. Depending on the next roll, the bet either wins or loses.
- Outside Numbers - The numbers 4,5,9, and 10.
- Parley - Increasing a bet, usually double (let it ride).
- Pass Line Bet - Bet stating the dice will win or pass.
- Payoff - The return or payback the player receives for his or her wager.
- Place Bet - bet stating a place number will be thrown before a 7 comes out.
- Place Numbers - 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10.
- Playing the field - is a common and popular bet. To place this bet find the box with the word 'field' written in it along with a set of numbers (as in 'Filed Bet' above). Placing a field bet means you are betting that the next roll will be a 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, or 12.
- Point - See "The Point" below
- Point Number - One of the numbers 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10 determined on the come out roll.
- Press a Bet - To double a bet.
- Proposition Bets - All one-roll bets and the hardway bet.
- Rail - The grooved area along the top of the craps table perimeter where players keep their chips
- Right Bettor - A player betting the dice will pass or win. A player who bets that the shooter will make the Point.
- Rounding - Payout rounding. Rounding up or down the amount.
- Seven Out - When a 7 is thrown after a point has been established and before repeating the point number, next player in line will be the shooter.
- Shooter - The player who is currently rolling or throwing the dice.
- Snake Eyes - When you roll a two in craps, it is called 'Snake Eyes' - eyes because they look like eyes, snake because they are bad news since the most common bet made on the craps table is the pass line and when 'snake eyes' is thrown on the come out roll a bet on the pass line loses.
- Stickman - A casino employee who calls out the dice rolls and returns the dice to the shooter, also responsible for the placing and paying the proposition bets.
- Toke - A tip given to the dealer.
- The Hard Way Bet - (see also 'Hardway' above) Making a hard way bet means going for the total of the two dice on doubles. Say you wanted to go for a hard six, the only way to do it is with two threes. It is called the hard way because it is not easy to hit. There are only four hard way combinations: 4 (2x2), 6 (3x3), 8 (4x4), and 10 (5x5). These are not anytime one-roll wagers. Hard ways win if the selected hard way is rolled before a seven appears or before an "easy way" combination of the hard way total is hit. So if you have a bet on a hard 4 and a 3 and 1 (easy 4) comes up before two twos (hard 4), you lose your hard way bet.
- The Point - The number that is established on the come-out roll. Only place numbers (4,5,6,8,9,10) can become the point. The shooter will attempt to repeat throwing the point before throwing a 7 in order to win that round of betting.
- Three-way Craps - A bet made in units of 3 with one unit on 2, one unit on 3, and one unit on 12.
- Vigorish - (Also abbreviated Vig.) The casino edge or commission taken by the house.
- Working - Meaning certain bets will be at risk on the next dice roll.
- Whirl Bet - Betting on 2, 3, 7, 11 or 12 with the same amount.
- Wrong Bettor - A player betting the dice will not pass. A player who bets the shooter will not make the point and instead he will Seven-Out.
- Yo - The number 11. Also called Yo-leven
Great gambling site
Use the "Main Menu" on the right margin to explore this site. This is a comprehensive great gambling site with advice on winning, how to gamble, betting strategy, listing the best online casinos and world land-based casinos directory.
Topics covered include game summary, rules, how to play, how to win, game strategy, betting systems, gambling tips, on: Blackjack, Roulette, Poker classic and variants such as Texas Hold'em poker, Craps/Dice, Slots and Videopoker, Baccarat, Keno, Lottery, Powerball, Bingo, Sports betting, Horse racing and Greyhound racing.
This is the gambling website with lots of information and resources as well as helpful advice and frequent updates thanks to your helpful feedback.
Back to top
House edge .
* Glossary .
* Winning games
Live poker sites
Search il dado
Ask il dado
Join il dado
Rate il dado
About il dado
Contact il dado
Home ¬ Start here!
Handy jump links