|Roulette terms, meaning of words: Terminology, Jargon, Slang, Vocabulary.
- A bet on the layout - A bet anywhere on the numbers portion of the table.
- American Wheel - A roulette wheel with 38 slots numbered 1 to 36 plus two zeros, 0 and 00.
- Boule (La Boule) - Originally referred to as the "little game", Boule is basically a simplified version of Roulette, popular in French casinos. The game features a table and a wheel with only 9 numbers and 3 different colours on which you can bet. The wheel is spun and a small rubber ball bounces around the wheel before settling into one of the coloured holes to determine the outcome. The game is simple and fast.
- Boule (La Boule) - Originally referred to as the "little game", Boule is basically a simplified version of Roulette, popular in French casinos. The game features a table and a wheel with only 9 numbers and 3 different colors on which you can bet. The wheel is spun and a small rubber ball bounces around the wheel before settling into one of the colored holes to determine the outcome. The game is simple and fast.
- Call bets - Also known as 'Roulette Announced Bets'. Used in French and European roulette tables and common in most UK casinos with single-zero wheel American roulette tables. These bets consist of a group of numbers and there are 5 types: Number neighbours (Voisin du nombre, 5 chips bet), Zero neighbours (Voisins du zero, 9 chips bet), A third section of the wheel (Tiers du cylindre, 6 chips bet), Full orphans (Orphelin plein, 8 chips bet), Orphans split (Orphelin cheval, 5 chips bet).
- Carré - French for Corner bet.
- Cheval - French for Split bet.
- Column bet - One of the three longer divisions of the layout. (This is an outside bet.)
- Corner bet - A bet on four numbers.
- Dolly - Unlike the French roulette where the croupier simply points with the stick on the winning number on the table, in the American roulette the croupier uses a marker made of wood or plastic and places it on the table in the square of the winning number. The score marker is called 'dolly' because it has the outline that looks like a doll. Its functionality is primarily to help the players know the winning number until all winnings are paid.
- Dozen bet - One of three dozen numbers on the layout. (This is an outside bet.)
- En plein - French for Straight up bet.
- En prison - French phrase. A rule applied to even money bets only. When the outcome is zero, some casinos will allow the player to either take back half his bet or leave the bet (in prison) for another spin. In the second case, if the following spin the outcome is again zero, then the whole bet is lost.
- European wheel - A roulette wheel with 37 slots numbered 1 to 36 plus one zero, 0.
- Ficheur - In the American Roulette each player gets chips with different colours so that they do not mix. The croupiers have at their disposal a sophisticated mechanism, also known as Ficheur, which is able to mechanically separate coloured chips making them always readily available to use.
- Five number bet - Common with American double zero roulette wheels. It is a bet covering 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3.
- High or low bet - An even money bet, either for the top half (19-36) or the bottom half (1-18) of the numbers. (This is an outside bet.)
- Inside bet - A bet anywhere on the layout (on numbers).
- La partage - roulette rule similar to the en prison rule, only in this case the player loses half the bet and does not have the option of leaving the bet en prison for another spin. This refers to the 'outside' even-money bets Red/Black, High/Low, Odd/Even and applies when the outcome is zero.
- Luminar or LuminAR - Illuminated roulette table made by John Huxley, suppliers of casino equipment. The LuminAR roulette table is eye-catching by illuminating the winning sections through the layout using high intensity LED’s. The effect is very similar to the Touch-bet Roulette flashing winning sections.
- Neighbour bet (or Neighbor bet) - When you place a neighbour bet it means you are betting on 5 numbers that are next to each other on the roulette wheel, with your called main number in the middle. You call your bet to the dealer before the start of the spin (example: 7 and the neighbours). The minimum bet for this type of bet is usually higher than the table minimum.
- Non-value Chip - A gaming chip which the dollar value is determined by the amount of the buy-in and the amount of chips taken (example: in roulette). Thus, a buy-in of $300.00 for 60 chips equals a value of $5.00 per chip. In roulette, this is uaually established by the "Table Minimum Bet" amount displayed on the table.
- Orphans - French phrase. Common in European casinos. It's a bet on three specific numbers 6, 34 and 17 that are neighbours on the wheel, but far apart on the layout.
- Orphelins - French phrase. Common in European casinos. It's a bet on a specific group of numbers on a section of the roulette wheel that are neighbours on the wheel, but apart on the layout.
- Oustide bet - Bets on 1 to 1 even money (red/black, odd/even, high/low) and 2 to 1 (dozen or column) payouts.
- Payout (Pay Out) - The winning amount paid by the casino to the player.
- Queen Theatre - A term used in electronic roulette (touchbet roulette) because of the way the seating is laid out. Altogether 24 players can play the Queen Theatre electronic roulette at the same time. The central part of the roulette with its wheel is designed for 8 players around it, whilst 16 players play from the "theatre", a second line around the first circle of 8 players.
- Racetrack bets - Also known as 'Call bets'. The racetrack betting area is in front of the croupier on the table used for players wishing to make bets on sections of the roulette wheel. See "Call bets" above
- Rapid roulette - Rapid Roulette is just like a standard roulette game, except the table has been remodelled with the addition of individual player terminals and you play on your own individual screen layout. The principles of the game remain the same, with the wheel and dealer still determining the result. However, instead of having to stretch to place your bets on the table, you can place your bets on the screen in front of you.
- Roulight / Roulite - A variety of Roulette. A table game that has been developed in the first instance by specialists at the Wiesbaden Casino, Wiesbaden, Germany. The game is dynamic and very fast. Players, who like to play sectors and neighbours love it. Bets can only be placed on full numbers (staight up), on two connected numbers (split), neighbours and sections of the wheel. No outside bets.
- Sixainne - French for Six line bet.
- Six line bet - A bet on six numbers.
- Split bet - A bet on two numbers.
- Straight up bet - A bet on one single number.
- Street bet - A bet on three numbers.
- Tiers du cylindre - French phrase. Common in European casinos. It's a bet on a specific group of numbers on a section of the roulette wheel that are paired neighbours on the layout.
- Transversale - French for Street bet.
- Voisins du zero - French phrase. Common in European casinos. It's a bet on a specific group of numbers on a section of the roulette wheel neighbouring the zero.
Great gambling site
Use the "Main Menu" on the right margin to explore this site. This is a comprehensive great gambling site with advice on winning, how to gamble, betting strategy, listing the best online casinos and world land-based casinos directory.
Topics covered include game summary, rules, how to play, how to win, game strategy, betting systems, gambling tips, on: Blackjack, Roulette, Poker classic and variants such as Texas Hold'em poker, Craps/Dice, Slots and Videopoker, Baccarat, Keno, Lottery, Powerball, Bingo, Sports betting, Horse racing and Greyhound racing.
This is the gambling website with lots of information and resources as well as helpful advice and frequent updates thanks to your helpful feedback.
Table layout .
Single zero wheel .
Double zero wheel .
* Glossary .
Single zero wheel
Double zero wheel
* Winning games
Live poker sites
Search il dado
Ask il dado
Join il dado
Rate il dado
About il dado
Contact il dado
Home ¬ Start here!
Handy jump links